[Live-devel] Cleanup problems when passing non-valid URL?

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Thu Aug 2 11:58:51 PDT 2012

I'm writing a playback client based on the testRTSPClient example. For each
new stream to connect to, I setup a new environment, i.e. create new
UsageEnvironment, StreamClientState etc.

Everything works great and I can start and stop streams multiple times
without seeing any issues. There is one exception, and it's when I try to
connect to a totally messed up URL, e.g. "rtsp://coooow".

The stream then appears to correctly "shut down" when ending up in
continueAfterDESCRIBE(), but whatever stream I try connect to after that
will end up in a fatal crash. As long as I send in valid URL's it doesn't
crash, i.e. it behaves correctly even if there is no stream available. It is
only when I send in non-valid URL's something bad happens.

Example of stream connections; everything works fine until after
rtsp://coooow:

rtsp://192.168.1.103/live/MyWorkingCamera1
rtsp://192.168.1.103/live/NoStreamHere1
rtsp://192.168.1.103/live/MyWorkingCamera2
rtsp://192.168.1.103/live/MyWorkingCamera1
rtsp://192.168.1.103/live/NoStreamHere2
rtsp://192.168.1.103/live/MyWorkingCamera2
rtsp://coooow
-> Whatever URL I try to connect to after this will trigger a fatal error

I've tried to debug this a lot, but am kind of stuck. A solution is of
course to validate the URL before passing it, but now I'm kind of curious
what the issue is. I haven't been able narrow it down, but it appears to
usually occur when a new RTSPClient is created, i.e. on
OurRTSPClient::createNew().

Has anyone else experienced this?

/Claes