[Live-devel] RTSP - Absolute Time

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Aug 20 15:45:49 PDT 2012

> - The absolute timestamp I ask for doesn't match what I receive, Many hours off, but at least it's consistent.
>
> For what it’s worth, this sounds like it could potentially be a time zone issue.  I’ve run into issues in the past where some of the routines I used interpreted my UTC timestamp as a timestamp in the local time zone (or vice versa), thus adding or subtracting a fixed number of hours.

Note that according to the RTSP specification (RFC 2326, section 3.7) 'absolute' time - in both RTSP requests and RTSP responses - must be expressed as a UTC time - i.e., using a string of the form "YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ" or "YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS.<frac>Z".  (Note the "Z" at the end.)

But how a 3rd-party server interprets such strings is anyone's guess...