[Live-devel] RTSP - Absolute Time

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Tue Aug 21 11:19:01 PDT 2012

- The absolute timestamp I ask for doesn't match what I receive, Many hours
off, but at least it's consistent.

For what it's worth, this sounds like it could potentially be a time zone
issue.  I've run into issues in the past where some of the routines I used
interpreted my UTC timestamp as a timestamp in the local time zone (or vice
versa), thus adding or subtracting a fixed number of hours.

Note that according to the RTSP specification (RFC 2326, section 3.7)
'absolute' time - in both RTSP requests and RTSP responses - must be
expressed as a UTC time - i.e., using a string of the form
"YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ" or "YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS.<frac>Z".  (Note the "Z" at the end.)

Thanks to everyone for your response.

A new day and another restart of the server and everything appears to work
fine.

I think I might have messed up the UTC conversion yesterday, as I did it
manually, but it was also confusing as it was not always whole hours off,
which potentially could have been due to incomplete archives (for unknown
reasons). Well, today it appears to work fine and even the delay is gone. No
idea what that was about, but it must have been something on the server.
I've re-created a few of the archives and will continue to test more.
Thanks!

/Claes