[Live-devel] Using RTSP to copy files

Marlon Reid Marlon at scansoft.co.za
Wed Aug 22 07:24:29 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

We are thinking of using RTSP streaming in a way that can be considered
untraditional (at least according to me) and I was wondering if it will
be possible using Live555.

Lets assume that we have an mp3 file of 1 minute duration on the machine
with the RTSP server, and we want to copy the file to machine B which
will have an RTSP client.  We are able to stream the mp3 file, but it
takes 1 minute (the duration of the file) to get the data from A to B.
Would it be possible to stream the file as quickly as possible to the
other machine in order to 'copy' the file in much less time than the 1
minute duration of the file?

If it is possible, I assume that one will need to create something like
a CopyFile media source, and just set fFrameSize to a nice big number.
Will presentationTime matter in a scenario like this?  And is there a
limit to fFrameSize?

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards.