[Live-devel] Is it possible to add some arguments to live555mediaServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 28 09:10:30 PDT 2012

> We used live555MediaServer for test purpose and it is nice because it is very simple, but as there is no parameter it choose it behaviour by itself (depending of available ports).
> You will find attached a small modification in order to specify a port as an argument.

No, the "LIVE555 Media Server" application is intended to be a simple, self-contained 'appliance' that - for most people - will work well 'as is', with no extra 'knobs' to turn - i.e., with no command-line parameters.

Note, in particular, that the server automatically first tries to use port 554 for RTSP, and then, if that fails (usually because the user didn't have permission to use port 554) will then try to use the IANA-defined alternative port 8554 instead.  That will be sufficient for most people (because few people will/should already have RTSP servers running on other ports).  (Note also that 554 and 8554 are the only port numbers officially registered by IANA for use for RTSP; if users arbitrarily choose some other port number, then there's a possibility that it might have been registered for some other use.

However, the application code is, of course, Open Source, which means that anyone can write their own server code that happens to use the "LIVE555 Media Server" code as a model.  (Of course, it's best that they not modify the supplied code 'in place'.)

> An other behaviour we would like to control using arguments is the availibility to loop on the source file (I means without closing the RTSP session).
> Could you advise us, how to looping on the file source when end is reached.

The best way to do this is to write your own "FramedSource" subclass that presents the illusion of a single, continuous stream of data - i.e., by automatically reseeking to the front of the file (or closing/reopening it) whenever the end of the file is reached.  Then use this subclass in a new "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" subclass (that you would also write).  That way, none of the other server code would need to change - it would act just as if the data source happened to be infinite.