[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP: client sending RR "early"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 30 06:44:00 PDT 2012

> 1) The server could of course be made more robust by detecting the '$' char and ignoring such requests.
> Would this work as a quick fix?

Perhaps.  But is this really a problem worth worrying about?  If this happens only occasionally (in extreme situations), and merely causes the server to send back a "method not allowed" RTSP response, then is this a major problem?  It seems to be merely an 'annoyance'.

> 2) The (more correct?) approach would be to only allow the client to send an RR after it has received a PLAY response.

Maybe, but that would require a major change to the client code that might break other things - and wouldn't help with existing clients anyway.  So I'm not going to go down that route just to deal with a rare issue that - as noted above - appears to be just an annoyance.