[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP: client sending RR "early"

Ralf Globisch rglobisch at csir.co.za
Thu Aug 30 07:37:19 PDT 2012

> Perhaps.  But is this really a problem worth worrying about?  If this happens only occasionally (in extreme situations), and merely causes the server to send back a > "method not allowed" RTSP response, then is this a major problem?  It seems to be merely an 'annoyance'.

We are working on a platform delivering live video to mobile devices in the
South African market and in our national infrastructure it occurs frequently.

A part of the issue is that e.g. when using VLC on mobile devices as a client,
the user does not know that the attempt to play the stream has failed, which
is arguably a VLC user interaction issue. But even if this behaviour were detected
in the VLC code, it would be hack to re-setup an RTSP session after having received
a "method not allowed" from the server so I don't think the issue can be fixed
inside VLC.

In practice it can take up to 10 attempts to get a playing stream which
I would argue is more than an annoyance.

> Maybe, but that would require a major change to the client code that might break other things - and wouldn't help with existing clients anyway.  So I'm not going to > go down that route just to deal with a rare issue that - as noted above - appears to be just an annoyance.

I figured it was a big change, just needed some confirmation from you in case
there was a quick fix. It is a real issue though, I am currently working in
Germany and when trying to play the stream (RTSP server in South Africa)
over my ADSL connection (so not even an edge connection) the same issue
occurs most of the time. For us, such a user experience would make the service
unusable. I will implement the first suggestion as an intermediary fix then and if it
works we will contribute the patch back to live555.

Thanks for the input.
Ralf

and is believed to be clean.