[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP: client sending RR "early"

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Thu Aug 30 10:50:04 PDT 2012

I actually ran into this very same problem a while back. We had a
customer trying to stream live low frame rate/low bit rate video over a
slow military 3G cellular network and things weren't working, I can't
remember all the details now but either the client or the server was
hanging up because of an unexpected response or something like that. It
wasn't crashing but things also weren't operational.

Eventually I figured out the same thing that Ralf discovered, i.e. that
one of the RTCP packets were coming in before the server expected and
messing up the server RTSP over TCP parsing code. I have to go back and
reproduce the problem to be sure, but I think it was more than a mere
annoyance.

At the time the customer figured out a work around (I think it was a
different network or something like that ) and I didn't have time to
figure out a proper fix for the code and I put it on my to do list to
report the problem to you Ross. But as often happens with to do lists
that item never came up.

A fix for this would be appreciated.

Matt S.