[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP: client sending RR "early"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 30 11:11:19 PDT 2012

> A part of the issue is that e.g. when using VLC on mobile devices as a client

Out of curiosity, what VLC iPhone 'app' are you using?  'GoodPlayer'?  Or your own custom iOS app?

> the user does not know that the attempt to play the stream has failed

OK, beforehand you didn't say that this (the server seeing an incoming RTCP-over-TCP '$' 'packet' and responding "Method not allowed") was causing whole connections to fail.  I'm curious about why that is happening.  Is this because the "Method not allowed" response is being seen as a response to the "PLAY" command (because it's being sent back before the "PLAY" response)?  (Because I would have thought that any client that received an arbitrary "Method not allowed" RTSP response after having already received a successful "PLAY" response would be able to handle that OK.)

> I will implement the first suggestion as an intermediary fix then and if it
> works we will contribute the patch back to live555.

Yes, please do.