[Live-devel] Re-connection handling

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Fri Aug 31 12:06:09 PDT 2012

Best possible uptime is essential for the RTSP client I'm implementing. I've
therefore looked into how to best handle reconnection if the stream for any
reason is disconnected. I noticed fairly quickly that liveMedia is taking
care of that really good and there is no reason for me to try to implement
any general disconnect handling, as I can't possible reconnect any faster
than liveMedia already does.

There is one case where it doesn't work though, and I'm not sure how to
handle it. This is if I do a seek while the stream is disconnected, then it
never reconnects. In some cases I play a 10s loop where a timer do a seek
every 10s and jumps back (using absolute seeking). Those streams never
reconnect after a disconnection.

I see a few alternatives:

1. I continuously try to reconnect myself, but I don't want to mess up
liveMedia's reconnection handling, so not sure how to detect when I should
handle a disconnect myself.

2. Make sure I don't issue a seek, or any PLAY-command (i.e. call
sendPlayCommand()) when the stream is down. Is there a status flag I can
check somewhere to determine this?

3. Look at the reconnect-handling in liveMedia. No idea what could be done
to make sure the re-connect functionality isn't disrupted, but maybe buffer
the PLAY-commands until they can be performed, or just discard them.

Any comments would be appreciated. Can anyone confirm that my theories are
correct, i.e. that a stream doesn't reconnect if a PLAY-command is issued
while the stream is down?

/Claes