[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP strange problem

Yossi Cohen-Shahar yossics at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:38:20 PST 2012

Hi,

I used the Live 555 to create an RTSP client that receives video a stream
of RTP over RTSP (RTP over TCP).

Server is not in my control and as far as I know it was developed using
Live555 as well.

My client is retrieving video in very high rate (around 65-170 fps, 3-9
time faster than the capture rate) and store it for later processing.

The client is implemented in VS2010 and run under Win7.

I have the following strange phenomena:

On a couple of PCs the client can work for hours without any problem.

However on other PCs connected to the same server, on the same network,
after about 1-3 minutes, for each ~3-5 frames (groups of about 4-6
packets), the RTP packets are confused to be RTSP - as if the '$' is not
identified.

In the beginning, I tried to understand why
SocketDescriptor::tcpReadHandler1

 (in RTPInterface.cpp)  pass the control to the RTSP handler.

However, I also captured the traffic with WireShark and saw the same
confusion there!

Attached please find a small capture file, if it is decoded as RTPS, the
wrongfully interpretation can be seen in in packets 17-20

(server IP 10.0.0.213 client 10.0.0.111)

If any other information is, larger capture file, etc.. is required – I
will be happy to provide it.

I will appreciate any help, hint or idea.

Thanks,

YocoSha