[Live-devel] shared library

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Dec 20 21:55:03 PST 2012

> 1) We need symbolic links on Linux for shared libraries. For example,
> libfoo.so.1.2.3 would required these symlinks:
>
> libfoo.so.1 -> libfoo.so.1.2.3
> libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.1.2.3
>
> libfoo.so.1.2.3 and libfoo.so.1 will be shipped in the library package
> and libfoo.so will be shipped in the development package.
>
> I have created an install target (patch attached). PREFIX and LIBDIR
> needs to be defined in the other config.* files. The ln commands create
> the symbolic link described above, but they should be not run for other
> system (for example, config.linux).

Thanks.  FYI, I figured out a mechanism that causes the symbolic links to be created only when shared libraries are being built.  I've now installed a new version of the code (2012.12.21) that includes your suggestion for adding an "install:" target.

Please check that this version works OK for you now (after running "genMakefiles linux-with-shared-libraries")

> 2) The *_VERSION_CURRENT, *_VERSION_REVISION, *_VERSION_AGE variables
> should be put into a separate file, because they are not Linux specific.
> They should be used on other systems (e.g. BSD) too.

Yes - I'll arrange for those variables to be set the same way in each "config.<mumble>" file (for shared libraries) that ends up getting distributed with the code.

> 3) Some symbols used by the shared libraries are not found in none of
> the libraries (build.log attached).

Are you sure about these?  When static libraries are built (and applications linked against them), I don't see complaints about any undefined symbols.  It seems unlikely, then that there would be a problem with undefined symbols just when shared libraries are used.  (Or perhaps there's a problem with the order in which the shared libraries are linked against the applications??)

Anyway, thanks once again for your help with this.