[Live-devel] shared library

Benjamin Drung bdrung at debian.org
Mon Dec 17 17:49:02 PST 2012

Am Samstag, den 15.12.2012, 17:37 +1000 schrieb Ross Finlayson:
> Benjamin,
>

> I've now installed a new release  - 2012.12.15 - that adds a new
> configuration file "config.linux-with-shared-libraries".

Thanks.

> Please verify that this works properly for you (i.e., after first
> running "genMakefiles linux-with-shared-libraries").  (Unfortunately
> I'm traveling for the rest of the month, and don't have access to a
> Linux system for testing).  If there are problems with this, then
> please let me know ASAP.

I tested linux-with-shared-libraries by creating a shared library
packages and building vlc against it. I found some issues:

1) We need symbolic links on Linux for shared libraries. For example,
libfoo.so.1.2.3 would required these symlinks:

libfoo.so.1 -> libfoo.so.1.2.3
libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.1.2.3

libfoo.so.1.2.3 and libfoo.so.1 will be shipped in the library package
and libfoo.so will be shipped in the development package.

I have created an install target (patch attached). PREFIX and LIBDIR
needs to be defined in the other config.* files. The ln commands create
the symbolic link described above, but they should be not run for other
system (for example, config.linux). The solution with the additional
SHORT_LIB_SUFFIX variable is a bit hacky.

2) The *_VERSION_CURRENT, *_VERSION_REVISION, *_VERSION_AGE variables
should be put into a separate file, because they are not Linux specific.
They should be used on other systems (e.g. BSD) too.

3) Some symbols used by the shared libraries are not found in none of
the libraries (build.log attached).

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer