[Live-devel] Patches in the Debian package

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 21 19:22:18 PST 2012

> we carry three patches (attached) in the Debian package that predate my
> involvement in the Debian packaging.

Thanks for the update.  I wish the people who decided (apparently unilaterally) that those patches were necessary had had the courtesy to check with this mailing list first.  By doing this, they would have (1) avoided applying possibly incorrect, incomplete and/or harmful patches that they might not fully understand, and (2) allowed any patches that *were* truly useful to be made available to other users of this software.  (I have the same problem with a few of the VLC developers; they seem to think that the world revolves around them.)

But anyway:
1/ The first 'patch' was apparently intended to remove some compiler warnings.  It's harmless, but I recommend not applying it, because the code that generates these compiler warnings might end up changing sometime (which will break the patch).
2/ The second 'patch' seems wrong to me.  I don't understand why any system would define "struct ip_mreq_source", but not also define "IP_ADD_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP" (a constant that makes that structure useful).  I recommend removing the patch.  If anyone feels that it is, in fact, necessary, then they can post a message to this mailing list (as they should have done in the first place!) explaining why they think it's needed.
3/ The third 'patch' is definitely wrong, and should be removed.  The whole point of deprecating the old, synchronous "RTSPClient" interface is that any code that happens to depend upon the old interface needs to explicitly be updated - by "#define"ing RTSPCLIENT_SYNCHRONOUS_INTERFACE - so that it can continue using it.  But anyway, no code that depends upon the old interface is present anywhere in the LIVE555 distribution, or (I presume) anywhere else in the Debian distribution either.