[Live-devel] Patches in the Debian package

Benjamin Drung bdrung at debian.org
Sat Dec 22 05:08:47 PST 2012

Am Samstag, den 22.12.2012, 13:22 +1000 schrieb Ross Finlayson:
> > we carry three patches (attached) in the Debian package that predate
> > my
> > involvement in the Debian packaging.
>

> But anyway:
> 1/ The first 'patch' was apparently intended to remove some compiler
> warnings.  It's harmless, but I recommend not applying it, because the
> code that generates these compiler warnings might end up changing
> sometime (which will break the patch).

Why do you cast integers/bytes into void pointers? Unless there is a
reason, I think the patch should be applied?

> 2/ The second 'patch' seems wrong to me.  I don't understand why any
> system would define "struct ip_mreq_source", but not also define
> "IP_ADD_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP" (a constant that makes that structure
> useful).  I recommend removing the patch.  If anyone feels that it is,
> in fact, necessary, then they can post a message to this mailing list
> (as they should have done in the first place!) explaining why they
> think it's needed.

I found a reason in the logs: "ip_mreq_source is defined in all glibc
not just on kfreebsd. Fix hurd FTBFS" I'll check if this patch is still
needed.

> 3/ The third 'patch' is definitely wrong, and should be removed.  The
> whole point of deprecating the old, synchronous "RTSPClient" interface
> is that any code that happens to depend upon the old interface needs
> to explicitly be updated - by
> "#define"ing RTSPCLIENT_SYNCHRONOUS_INTERFACE - so that it can
> continue using it.  But anyway, no code that depends upon the old
> interface is present anywhere in the LIVE555 distribution, or (I
> presume) anywhere else in the Debian distribution either.

I see a problem here: We build a static/shared library without the
deprecated old, synchronous RTSPClient interface. If a user defines
RTSPCLIENT_SYNCHRONOUS_INTERFACE, he will get the old header functions,
but linking with the static/shared library will fail.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer