[Live-devel] Garbled sound with multiple listeners

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 7 16:24:56 PST 2012

> My application streams an MP3 file and it works fine with just one listener, which for the purpose of my testing is VLC.  If I open up a second instance of VLC, connect to my stream and play the sound on both of the listeners is garbled.  Note that both instances of VLC are on the same machine.
>
> Is this behaviour normal?  I assumed that both instances of VLC will connect to the stream and play it fine, but that appears not to be the case.

There's a lot of information missing here.  You haven't said much about what your application does.  Does it stream the MP3 via multicast (e.g., like "testMP3Streamer"), or does it stream via unicast (from a RTSP server)?  And are you really streaming from a MP3 file, or from a single MP3 source (in which case don't forget to set "reuseFirstSource" to True if you're streaming unicast from a RTSP server)?

Also, you say that you are running two instances of VLC on the same computer.  I have no idea what VLC is supposed to do with audio in this case (do you have separate sound cards on this computer, or just one??), but any problems that you have with audio in this situation will likely have nothing to do with our software.

Why not first try to run your two instances of VLC on *different* machines?  And remember that you can also use "openRTSP" to test RTSP client behavior (and in a way that involves only our software, not VLC).