[Live-devel] Broadcasting live events with an iPhone using Live555 media libraries

Anthony Nevo anthony at haploid.fr
Thu Jan 5 09:35:18 PST 2012

Hi all,

I am working for a small company specialized in developing iOS and Android applications. One of our clients asked us to add a Qik-like or Ustream-like functionality to one of their app and after some investigation, it seems to me that Live555 libraries are a very good starting point to do that.

The idea is that a user would broadcast an event (concert, birthday party, ...) to his/her friends using only an iPhone. His/her friends would be able to watch the event "live" on their PC or phones.

The architecture we are building is based on an Helix Media Server that will be used to broadcast the stream to PCs, phones, ...
Then, on the iPhone part, we're building an app that will access the camera, and then maybe by using Live555 libraries, streaming it to the Helix Media Server (H264/AAC using RTP). A good example of what we are trying to achieve is the Livu app (http://stevemcfarlin.com/livu/index.html).

I've compiled the Live555 libraries for the iPhone and I've checked the test programs (particularly testH264VideoStreamer or testMPEG4VideoToDarwin). TestMPEG4VideoToDarwin seems to be very close to what we want to do but I was wondering if someone had some advices on how to achieve this goal.
Are we on the right path or not ?

Thanks a million for your help,
Cheers,
Anthony Nevo