[Live-devel] Broadcasting live events with an iPhone using Live555 media libraries

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 5 12:04:34 PST 2012

> The architecture we are building is based on an Helix Media Server that will be used to broadcast the stream to PCs, phones, ...
> Then, on the iPhone part, we're building an app that will access the camera, and then maybe by using Live555 libraries, streaming it to the Helix Media Server (H264/AAC using RTP). A good example of what we are trying to achieve is the Livu app (http://stevemcfarlin.com/livu/index.html).
>
> I've compiled the Live555 libraries for the iPhone and I've checked the test programs (particularly testH264VideoStreamer or testMPEG4VideoToDarwin). TestMPEG4VideoToDarwin seems to be very close to what we want to do but I was wondering if someone had some advices on how to achieve this goal.
> Are we on the right path or not ?

Yes, you probably are, provided that the protocol that the "Helix Media Server" uses to receive incoming data is the same protocol (or at least a similar protocol) as the one that's used by the "Darwin Streaming Server".

Personally, I dislike the idea of clients 'pushing' data into servers (see <http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2011-August/013783.html> and <http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2011-August/013785.html>), but I recognize that there are legacy servers out there that support that model.