[Live-devel] Trick Play and .mkv / .webm files

Anthony Brown av at bsbc.nb.ca
Wed Jan 11 08:30:10 PST 2012

Hi there:

I'm trying to use live media server to stream out video, captured live
from an HD camera, but streamed on demand starting at an arbitrary
point.  My plan is to use dvgrab (in linux) to grab the firewire HDV
stream, pipe it into ffmpeg and transcode to a file that can be streamed
by live555.  Then I can use a trick play command from my streaming
client (VLC) to seek to the desired point in the stream.  This involves
streaming from a file that is still being written, but this seems to
work.  At least it works with mpeg ps files except for the fact that
there is an av sync issue after the seek operation.

I'm having a problem when trying to trick play from mkv files produced
by ffmpeg in that I cannot seek in them.  I don't seem to be able to
play back webm files at all (at least, VLC doesn't like them).

Are there any restrictions on what mkv/webm files support trick play?
Any special settings needed in ffmpeg when generating them?

Or any chance that the AV sync problem with seeking in ps files will get
resolved?

Anthony

--

Anthony Brown