[Live-devel] Trick Play and .mkv / .webm files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 11 16:59:48 PST 2012

> I'm having a problem when trying to trick play from mkv files produced by ffmpeg in that I cannot seek in them.  I don't seem to be able to play back webm files at all (at least, VLC doesn't like them).

OK, so your first task should be to find out (perhaps using a VLC mailing list) why VLC can't play your ".webm" files.  If there's something wrong with these files that VLC cannot play them, then it's also likely that our server will be unable to stream them.

> Are there any restrictions on what mkv/webm files support trick play?

Yes, they need to have "Cue Points".  (And seeking will be supported to the points in the file that are specified by these Cue Points.)

> Any special settings needed in ffmpeg when generating them?

I can't help you there.  (This is not a "ffmpeg" mailing list :-)

> Or any chance that the AV sync problem with seeking in ps files will get resolved?

That's a possibility, but fixing this is a low priority, so it's unlilkely to happen anytime soon.  (MPEG Program Stream files don't get very much use these days...)