[Live-devel] motion JPEG over RTP over UDP streaming server (RFC2435).

imin imup iminimup at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:52:12 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> After going through your 2 excellent faqs and Elphel source, am I correct
> to say the quickest way to build a MJPEG streamer (from JPEG files in
> prototype) would be to modify ElphelJPEGDeviceSource.cpp only?
>

> Actually, I don't recommend that you bother with streaming JPEG at all
> (especially as this is just a hobby for you).  JPEG streaming is very
> inefficient.  See http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#jpeg-streaming

Thanks for your suggestion. I understand MJPEG consumes more data rate (it
looks 5x to 10x). However Motion JPEG is widely used in addition to H.264
in my target application.

My job is to build a field mode Motion JPEG streamer from a live interlaced
video source (It seems Elphel only supports progressive scan).

My plan is a) to set up a MJPEG RTP streamer on PC first and test; b) if it
works in push mode without RTSP/TCP, move it into target device which
prefers to supports UDP only.

Any help and advice from you are appreciated.