[Live-devel] Used VLC, already broken up video into segments - how can I now use Live555

MDH devildoggodlived at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 21 14:11:28 PDT 2012

Ross,

I believe you responded to an inquiry I made to the Darwin mailing list
a while back...

But let me restate my problem....

Scenerio --> I have a few hundred++ mp4s that work fine using Darwin as
a server and Quicktime as a client and whatever else will work as a
client!

1) I Tested Live555 Media server (and still have it running on my
machine!) -- and I tested successfully your "bipbop-gear1-all" test
files successfully using iPhone iOS 4x...

2) ==> Then I found this using VLC which I used to convert all my few
hundred++ mp4s to the "broken up video segments" -- see this link -->
http://mdhradio.dnsdojo.net/heathvision/MDHRadio/example.txt
------------------
(Note: the reason I used VLC was because the Apple N---'s decided that
since my apple.developer account was associated to a Mac mini G4, that
they could not give me the new HTTP streaming tools ;(

3) Then, viola, all I had to do was use my standard Apache http server,
and iPhone iOS 4 worked perfectly -- All I had to do was point to the
index file with an iPhone using Safari and the broken up video segments
played perfectly just like apple stated..!!
==> I mean, I had an easy way to bypass Live555 and then just continue
to use Darwin otherwise! (hint: yet Live555 is still running with
nothing to do currently!)

4) Then, we upgrade to iPhone iOS 5 ----> and Safari is BROKEN ;(
--> This was MOST ridiculous to me ;( ;)
--> There is some kind of "multi-cast" whatever..., (from my
research.....)

5) This is a major debacle for me, since it took me weeks to run the VLC
script to convert everything...

6) The issue -- I have all this work done to convert everything to
"broken up video into segments", and I need a way to play these via
Live555 without having to do this all over again....

7) when looking at your "bipbop-gear1-all" it seems to me these were
created using the Apple http streaming tools... so the index file you
refer to is in binary...

Please help... Otherwise, I am stuck with Darwin and no iPhone
streaming methods...

Thanks,
Michael

--