[Live-devel] Recording time available?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 25 19:59:31 PDT 2012

> I've built a RTSP client using your library, so my question is related to what information that is passed from the server to the client. When I stream an archive file (i.e. non-live) from a RTSP-server ("Cisco Video Surveillance Media Server" in this case) it would great to be able to get a timestamp indicating when it was recorded. For live streams such a field would of course be the current server time. Is there any other timestamp available at all besides presentation time?

No.  (And even the presentation time should be considered, by the client, to be only a 'relative' time stamp - not an absolute time in any time scale.)

However, depending upon the specific codec(s) that you are using, it *might* be possible to embed extra information (such as a different kind of timestamp) within the encoded media itself (i.e., invisible to RTP or our software).

Plus, of course, the server could put (static, one-time) information into the stream's SDP description (e.g., the "i=" or "s=" lines).  if so, then this information would be available to your client.

But in either case, this depends upon whatever the server decides to do.