[Live-devel] Recording time available?

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Wed Jul 25 19:37:08 PDT 2012

        I find your question confusing, because it wasn't really clear how it relates to our software.  Could you please clarify your question, explaining in particular how you are using our software?  (Remember that our software can be used to build RTSP clients, RTSP servers, RTSP proxy servers, and other things.)

I've built a RTSP client using your library, so my question is related to what information that is passed from the server to the client. When I stream an archive file (i.e. non-live) from a RTSP-server ("Cisco Video Surveillance Media Server" in this case) it would great to be able to get a timestamp indicating when it was recorded. For live streams such a field would of course be the current server time. Is there any other timestamp available at all besides presentation time?
I have been trying to research if such a timestamp field is part of the RTSP-protocol or not, but I haven't found anything, so that is one reason I ask before spending too much time looking into the code. Since it's kind of essential information, at least for surveillance, I would hope it's part of the specification. I know it's possible to get this information with the Cisco bundled software, but it can of course be some third party added feature.

/Claes