[Live-devel] Design choice

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 27 16:07:54 PDT 2012

> This is fascinating but I can't picture it.  What would the design look like for multiple processes (one per stream as you describe)?
>
> Are there any examples of this that I can take a look at?

Sure.  For a (very) simple example, imagine a shell script like the following:

	#! /bin/sh
	openRTSP -F stream1_ rtsp://stream1.example.com &
	openRTSP -F stream2_ rtsp://stream2.example.com &
	openRTSP -F stream3_ rtsp://stream3.example.com &

I.e., have one process (in this case, a shell running a script, although it could also be a compiled application) that spawns ('exec's) multiple concurrent processes ('sub-applications') - one for each desired stream that you want to receive.

People have been structuring applications like this for decades.  I'm puzzled by why so many programmers these days seem afraid (or unaware) to do this.  (I suspect, however, that it might be due to the fact that so many programmers these days have grown up using nothing but graphical IDEs (integrated development environments), which only generate applications in which everything runs in one process.)