[Live-devel] Design choice

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Jul 27 16:22:55 PDT 2012

On 7/27/2012 5:07 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> I'm
> puzzled by why so many programmers these days seem afraid (or unaware)
> to do this.

I think it's a legacy of 1990s Windows and Mac OS: poor IPC, poor
process management, etc.  But they had threads, which avoids the need
for either.

Now we've got a generation of programmers who didn't face the opposite
problem: bad or missing thread implementations, but excellent IPC and
process management, which encourages cooperative multi-process
agglomerations.

Tim, I recommend you read any book by W. Richard Stevens, and this:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2006/EECS-2006-1.pdf

tl;dr on the latter: threads are mathematically proven to be evil.