[Live-devel] Network congestion while using Live555 framework (resending with proper formatting)

Saurabh Gandhi saurabhg84 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 04:48:51 PDT 2012

Kindly find my replies inline in blue:

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

> On 7/27/2012 12:20 AM, Saurabh Gandhi wrote:
>

>> The system worked fine for over two days
>>

> You aren't using an old version of Live555 are you?  They fixed an integer
> overflow bug 8 months ago to let MPEG2TransportStreamFramer manage a stream
> for more than a few days.

We are using the latest version built from Live555 source available here:
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/

 after two days we experienced a network congestion.

That's not what your screenshot shows.

> I guess you're using that term colloquially, because you certainly aren't
> using it in its correct technical way:
>
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Network_congestion<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_congestion>
>
> The highlighted packet in your screenshot has hundreds of milliseconds of
> space around it.  The only way that's "congestion" is if we're talking
> about a 300 bps modem link.

Okay, got it. Sorry for creating the confusion.

> In any case, unanswered ARPs are *way* below the level of Live555. Live555
> cannot break your network stack's ability to answer ARP. Live555 *could*
> send enough traffic to a broken switch that it falls over, but that's not
> really a Live555 problem, it's a broken switch.
>
> Does rebooting the switch(es) between these endpoints fix it?

This speculation seems to be making sense. Yes, the rebooting of switches
between these endpoints does solve the issue.

>  what was happening using wire-shark (refer attachment).
>>

> In future, it would be better if you send a .pcap file instead.  It
> contains more useful information, it can be manipulated, and as long as you
> prefilter the packets for us, it'll probably be smaller, too.
>
> You can safely assume that everyone on this list either has Wireshark
> handy, or can get it. :)

Thanks a lot for your response. Let me reproduce the problem and get hold
of a .pcap as suggested by you.
Thanks once again for your response.