[Live-devel] Network congestion while using Live555 framework (resending with proper formatting)

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Jul 27 14:57:50 PDT 2012

On 7/27/2012 12:20 AM, Saurabh Gandhi wrote:

> The system worked fine for over two days

You aren't using an old version of Live555 are you?  They fixed an
integer overflow bug 8 months ago to let MPEG2TransportStreamFramer
manage a stream for more than a few days.

> after two days we experienced a network congestion.

That's not what your screenshot shows.

I guess you're using that term colloquially, because you certainly
aren't using it in its correct technical way:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_congestion

The highlighted packet in your screenshot has hundreds of milliseconds
of space around it.  The only way that's "congestion" is if we're
talking about a 300 bps modem link.

In any case, unanswered ARPs are *way* below the level of Live555.
Live555 cannot break your network stack's ability to answer ARP.
Live555 *could* send enough traffic to a broken switch that it falls
over, but that's not really a Live555 problem, it's a broken switch.

Does rebooting the switch(es) between these endpoints fix it?

> what was happening using wire-shark (refer attachment).

In future, it would be better if you send a .pcap file instead.  It
contains more useful information, it can be manipulated, and as long as
you prefilter the packets for us, it'll probably be smaller, too.

You can safely assume that everyone on this list either has Wireshark
handy, or can get it. :)