[Live-devel] issues with TS video streamed through unicast Raw UDP and RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 23 07:59:20 PDT 2012

> When I stand up my RTSP server, if the "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe" or my Transport Streamer are already streaming video over unicast then when a client connects and the ServerMediaSession is created, they will not receive any of the video that is being sent from the transport streamer.  On the other hand if the client connects first and then the transport streamer is started the video is sent and received according to plan.

That's probably an issue only when the 'streamer' application and the 'receiver' application are running on the same computer.  It shouldn't happen when the 'streamer' is on a separate computer from the 'receiver'.

I don't know the reason for this, but it's not significant, because if the 'streamer' and the 'receiver' are running on the same computer (or on the same LAN, for that matter), then you can just use multicast rather than unicast.

I can't help you with your second issue, unfortunately, because it concerns your own modifications that you made to the source code (to stream/receive raw UDP).  But, because you have control over both the 'streamer' and the 'receiver', you shouldn't be streaming using raw UDP anyway.  Continue to use RTP.