[Live-devel] issues with TS video streamed through unicast Raw UDP and RTP

AJ albert.staubin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:58:48 PDT 2012

I currently have a DynamicRTSP Server built off the example onDemandRtsp
server.  My end goal is to use Raw UDP from a "testMPEG2TransportStreamer"
like program that will stream TS packets to the server.  I have the
transport streamer working in two forms the Live555
"testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe" that uses RTP to send TS data and a
version of my own that sends the TS data over RawUDP.

Now that you know where I currently am here are my issues,

Issue 1 - Unicast Transport streamer vs Multicast streamer Bug :

When I stand up my RTSP server, if the "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe" or
my Transport Streamer are already streaming video over unicast then when a
client connects and the ServerMediaSession is created, they will not
receive any of the video that is being sent from the transport streamer.
On the other hand if the client connects first and then the transport
streamer is started the video is sent and received according to plan.

When I stand the same RTSP server and use "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe"
with multicast instead of unicast when the client connects and the
ServerMediaSession is created the TS data is sent all the way through and
the client is able to display it.  In this case the client can connect
before or after the "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe" starts streaming.

Issue 2 - Raw UDP Unicast vs RTP Unicast client connection Bug:

When I use RawUDP Unicast I run into an issue when I try to connect new
users when the "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe" is already streaming and
the first client is receiving( as long as I follow the steps mentioned in
issue 1).  All new clients will not receive the video until the
"testMPEG2TransportStreamer.exe" or my transportStreamer is stopped and
started again.  This issue does not seem to exist when using RTP unicast or
multicast.  I currently do not have a Raw UDP multicast Transport streamer
to test that setup.

To sum this all up there seems to be an issue in the handling of incoming
Unicast UDP and RTP stream sources.  Is this expected performance?  Where
should I look in the code to determine if there is an issue in the
Groupsock that is being used for either of these situations?  I am still
trying to debug this issues on my own, but any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you for your help.