[Live-devel] RTSPClient w/significant frame loss

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Sat Mar 24 20:11:53 PDT 2012

Just in case anyone else was actually following this thread, I thought I'd make my final post in this thread the conclusion of the matter:

- Setting the packet reordering threshold time very low had a noticeable impact. I originally tried setting it to zero, but oddly my benchmarks  were slightly slower when setting this threshold to 0.0 than they were when it was set to 0.001 -- so I settled on the latter. My frame rate noticeably increased (by 25-30+%) when this change was made, so I suppose the moral of the story is that the further this reordering threshold gets from zero, packet loss begets more packet loss.

- CPU power also made a significant difference. I shifted from testing on iPad 1 to the new iPad (3rd generation), and that bumped my frame rate 30-40% too.

Both together were significant. After adding back in the rest of my decoding process, with some additional optimizations (which weren't part of this thread discussion), I'm now getting 27-30fps on an iPad 3rd generation, full rtsp -> LIVE555 -> ffmpeg -> iPad screen. So for anyone following along at home, it can be done.

Cheers,

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Founder / Lead Developer