[Live-devel] How to specify Range in RTSPClient that are not using npt

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 23 03:35:25 PDT 2012

> We try to find a way to send a range in absolute, it seems that a way could be to specify in the RTSP PLAY command :
> - Range: clock=19961108T142300Z-19961108T143520Z

Why?  Once again, I don't see the point.  With a "Range:" header like this (in fact, any "Range:" header other than "0-" or "now-"), you're telling the server that you want to seek.  But if the server's not going to be seeking within the stream, then there's no point in sending a header like this.  (And in fact, our server code doesn't even handle this kind of "Range:" header (and there are no plans to extend it to do so, because noone ever uses it.)

I don't understand why you keep "tilting at this windmill".

> Is it possible to define this method in the RTSPClient class as virtual in order to extend it ?

I have no plans to do this.  Again, I just don't see the point...