[Live-devel] Speex decoding

mark at engine12.com mark at engine12.com
Thu May 24 12:59:41 PDT 2012

 Hello,

 I'm trying to receive a speex stream and play it back in real-time.

 I can receive the rtsp stream with openRTSP and play it back with
 speexdec or mplayer.  But when I just use mplayer to receive and play
 the stream I have no luck :(

 I dug into mplayer and it looks like speex is not a recognized mime
 type (see rtpCodecInitialize_audio).  I added the audio/SPEEX mime type,
 but this leads to more problems within mplayer.

 I then tried to pipe the stdout of openRTSP to mplayer (i.e. openRTSP
 -a rtsp://192.168.1.165:7070/stream | mplayer - -nocache )

 This worked, but there was a twenty second plus latency.  The same 20
 sec. lag is present when decoding with speexdec -->  openRTSP
 rtsp://192.168.1.165:7070/mjpg_streamer | speexdec -

 I looked at the openRTSP code, but didn't see anything that would be
 causing the problem, I must have overlooked something.

 Please assist with solving the playback of a speex rtp stream in
 real-time.

 Thanks,

 Mark