[Live-devel] RTPInterface::sendRTPorRTCPPacketOverTCP on Server 2003

Jeremiah Morrill Jeremiah.Morrill at econnect.tv
Thu Nov 1 17:53:10 PDT 2012

First, I want to apologize for bringing up this list's favorite topics, Windows Server and JPEG streaming. =)

Using the latest (10.24.2012) Live555, I was having an odd issue streaming JPEG over TCP from any Windows Server 2003 box, even a Server 2003 VM running on the same machine.  I would only get a frame once in a while...sometimes none.  UDP always streamed great.  I tested from many Windows Server 2008 boxes and TCP _and_ UDP worked great also.

I tried fiddling with the RTSPServer's socket send buffer (increaseSendBufferTo 2MB) and it had no effect.  After more fiddling with Live555 code, I landed in the RTPInterface::sendRTPorRTCPPacketOverTCP method and found that the first call to RTPInterface::sendDataOverTCP that sends the framingHeader was failing, returning an EAGAIN in the envir().getErrno().  This caused it to never execute the second call to sendDataOverTCP which sends out the packet.

Changing the first call that sends out the framingHeader to sendDataOverTCP to set the forceSendToSucceed parameter to "True" instead of "False" fixed the problem on my Windows Server 2003 boxes and it now streams great via TCP.

if (!sendDataOverTCP(socketNum, framingHeader, 4, True)) break;

I don't like the idea of modifying the Live555 code and I don't like changing things that were coded a certain way for a reason.  I was wondering what the side effects may be and  I was hoping someone may have any idea of what is going wrong (besides using Windows hehe) and if there was a better way to fix this.

Thanks for any help!

-Jeremiah Morrill