[Live-devel] RTPInterface::sendRTPorRTCPPacketOverTCP on Server 2003

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 1 18:14:37 PDT 2012

> I don’t like the idea of modifying the Live555 code and I don’t like changing things that were coded a certain way for a reason.  I was wondering what the side effects may be and  I was hoping someone may have any idea of what is going wrong (besides using Windows hehe) and if there was a better way to fix this.

Yes, a better way to fix this is to not use JPEG.  JPEG is a *terrible* codec for video streaming.

The "EAGAIN" error that you're getting - despite having increased your OS's socket buffering - is occurring because the bitrate of your stream is exceeding the capacity of your TCP connection.  If you try to 'fix' things by doing blocking sends for all packets, then this may work if you're streaming from a file (it'll be just like delivering a file from a web server), but if you're streaming from a live stream (i.e., from a video camera), then the stream will get further and further behind in time, you will eventually run out of data *somewhere* (e.g., in whatever buffering you have between your encoder and the LIVE555 server).

In any case, if you modify the supplied source code, you can expect no support on this mailing list.