[Live-devel] RTP URL question

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Nov 19 13:46:18 PST 2012

> Is this possible with Live555?

No, because this type of URL (which has never been standardized) doesn't give you enough information about the stream.  In particular, it doesn't tell you the RTP payload format (i.e., the data type) of the stream.  Also, specifying only one port number isn't enough, because to properly receive a RTP stream, you need to know not just the stream's destination RTP port, but also the RTCP port on which the sender should receive RTCP "RR" packets back from the receiver.

Instead, the best way to receive a stream is to use the RTSP protocol (i.e., a "rtsp://" URL).  This protocol gives the client all of the information that it needs to receive the stream.