[Live-devel] iOS packet loss

chema benito sutuglon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 05:33:31 PST 2012

Hello,
 this is my first email to this list. That said, we are trying to receive
RTSP video (h264 and MPEG4) from our cameras. The problem is we are
experiencing packet loss in our devices (iPhone 4, iPad 2 and 3) when we go
to higher resolutions (say around 720x536) that are not occurring in the
iOS simulation, which seems to discard problems in our implementation. My
test application is running an openRTSP style receiver in its own thread,
then doing nothing with its payload, which discards blocking issues of the
thread by other processing. All it does is

 1) select
 2) handle to MultiFramedRTPSource networkHandler
 3) reordering
 4) handle afterGettingFrame, which is empty.

 with yet this is enough for packet loss.

 I discard Wifi issues because the code never loses a packet running in the
iOS simulator on a MacBookAir over Wifi.
 I also increasedReceiveBufferTo 2000000 bytes which somewhat
alleviated the problem, but did not get rid of it completely.

 have you experienced or heard of similar problems of other people with
this issue? Is it a iOS hardware limitation? Any ideas what could be going
wrong?

 Thanks,