[Live-devel] Antwort: Re: WG: problem with rtp streaming after upgrading from VLC 2.0.3 to VLC 2.0.4

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 30 11:40:20 PST 2012

> unfortunately this won't help because I am not using rtsp. We are loading the sdp file in the VLC client using media/open. This configures the rtp client to receive the rtp stream via udp. Here is an example sdp file

SDP files are usually used for receiving *multicast* streams, not unicast streams (like yours).  Unicast streams are best set up using the RTSP protocol, because that provides the client with extra information (e.g., server port numbers, for RTCP, which tells the server when the client remains alive) and extra control (e.g., the ability for the client to stop the streaming whenever it wants).  So, if your server supports RTSP, then you should use it.

Nonetheless, receiving a unicast stream using a SDP file *can* work, but should be considered a hack.  Unfortunately, although this hack worked with earlier versions of VLC, it inadvertently stopped working in the version (2012.09.13) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software that's used by VLC version 2.0.4.  However, it will probably work again with a more recent version of the LIVE555 software (version 2012.10.12 or later).

So, your choices are as follows:
1/ Use RTSP, if your server supports it.
2/ Stream via multicast (if you have multicast connectivity between your server and client(s)).  Of course, if you do this, you'd change your SDP file to use multicast addresses (in the SDP "c=" lines).
3/ Rebuild the VLC application yourself to use the latest version of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software.
4/ Wait until the VLC developers release their own newer version of the VLC application binary (which will probably also use a newer version of the LIVE55 code).