[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP: client sending RR "early"

Ralf Globisch rglobisch at csir.co.za
Sun Oct 7 03:24:26 PDT 2012

Hi Ross,

> When a "RTSPClient" requests RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming, it is (once again) prepared to handle incoming RTP/RTCP-over-TCP data as soon as it receives the "SETUP" response, but doesn't start sending RTCP "RR" packets until after it receives the "PLAY" response.

Just wanted to double check: it sounds like a server side upgrade is not necessary for the fix? I just tested the new release without upgrading the server and I still get the "response buffer truncated" error message in VLC, although it looks slightly different in that it seems to parse the RTSP 200 OK once the response has been successfully received (around line 2237).
An excerpt of the log is attached, I've tried to trim it down to the most important parts, but it's still lengthy.

Also, I'm not sure if it tells you anything, but every other time log cat starts spewing out the "RTCPInstance error: Hit limit when reading incoming packet over TCP. Increase"maxRTCPPacketSize" message in RTCPInstance::incomingReportHandler1, which seems to indicate that somehow the RTCP handler is parsing RTP messages?

Please let me know if you want me to add any logging lines to the live555 code, if that should be of any help in tracking down the issue.

Cheers,
Ralf

and is believed to be clean.