[Live-devel] RTP over RTSP: client sending RR "early"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Oct 7 07:00:17 PDT 2012

> Just wanted to double check: it sounds like a server side upgrade is not necessary for the fix?

It shouldn't have been.  However, I see from your log that your server code is almost 1 year out of date, so I suggest upgrading it anyway.

> I just tested the new release without upgrading the server and I still get the "response buffer truncated" error message in VLC, although it looks slightly different in that it seems to parse the RTSP 200 OK once the response has been successfully received (around line 2237).

The actual problem is starting at line 692 of your log.  The  RTSP client's 'alternative byte handler' (which gets called by the TCP read handling code whenever it thinks that the received data should be part of a RTSP response (rather than an embedded RTP or RTCP packet)) is receiving weird binary (i.e., non-ASCII) data.

Apparently this weird binary data does not begin with a '$' (i.e., 0x24) character, otherwise our TCP read handling code would have recognized it as beginning an embedded RTP or RTCP packet.

Does this problem happen *always* whenever you stream from this particular server (in RTP/RTCP-over-TCP mode), or only *sometimes* from this server (e.g., only when the network is congested)?

> Please let me know if you want me to add any logging lines to the live555 code, if that should be of any help in tracking down the issue.

If the problem still happens - even after you've upgraded your server - then please add the line
#define DEBUG_RECEIVE 1
to the start of "liveMedia/RTPInterface.cpp" (for your client), recompile your client, and send us another log (when you see the error happening again).