[Live-devel] Streaming in wireless ad-hoc network

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Oct 7 12:52:51 PDT 2012

> I'm having a real trouble getting live555 based streamer work in wireless
> ad-hoc network. The same streamer works fine in wired and managed
> wireless networks.
[...]
> Any idea what can be wrong with my application would be greatly appreciated.

If the only difference between your application working and your application not working is the network on which your computers run, then the problem seems unlikely to be your application.  The problem is probably the network.  Multicast over WiFi networks frequently performs poorly - supporting fairly low bit rates only (unless the WiFi network has been especially configured to support higher bit rates).  That is likely to be especially true of ad-hoc WIFi networks.

However...

> Streaming from file using testH264VideoStreamer works fine.

That's strange.  Does your file have the same bit rate as your live stream - i.e., was your file recorded simply by dumping the output of your decoder (rather than, for example, taking one of the example ".h264" files from our web site)?  If so, then I can't explain what you're seeing.