[Live-devel] Re (your issues with RTP-over-TCP streaming)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 17 18:06:33 PDT 2012

Ralf,

Thanks for the note.  Your patch looks like a good idea; it will likely be incorporated into the next release of the software.

However, although your patch is a good idea (basically, a 'sanity check' for the case when a '$'-framed packet is received without an appropriate handler for the stream channel), I'm still puzzled by why it happened to be necessary.  In our current "RTSPClient" implementation, the stream channel ids (for RTP and RTCP) are 'registered' just after the "SETUP" response has been received (and thus before "PLAY" is sent).  Note the calls to "setStreamSocket() in "RTSPClient.cpp", lines 1027 and 1032.  Therefore, I don't see how a RTP or RTCP packet being sent by the server after it receives the "PLAY" request (even if it's sent before the "PLAY" response) could cause this situation (no appropriate handler) to occur?