[Live-devel] Re (your issues with RTP-over-TCP streaming)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Oct 18 01:06:56 PDT 2012

Ralf,

I've now installed a new version (2012.10.18) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code that incorporates (the equivalent of) your proposed fix.  Please test it (in your VLC client) to make sure that it works OK for you.

BTW, I now understand why you saw this situation occur, but I never did.  It's because I used "openRTSP" as my client (when testing), and "openRTSP" starts reading from its input source(s) after receiving the "SETUP" response, before sending "PLAY".  Because it's the act of reading from an input source that causes the 'read handler' function to get registered (in the "RTPInterface" code), I never encountered your situation.

You, however, are using VLC for your client, and VLC apparently does not start reading from its input source(s) until sometime after sending the RTSP "PLAY" command.  This explains why it could sometimes receive an embedded RTP or RTCP packet before a 'read handler' had been registered.