[Live-devel] No RTSP session is currently in progress

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 19 05:47:26 PDT 2012

> My application acquires rtsp streams from an IP camera. Until a few days ago the application was working properly, then I updated the LIVE555 libraries and the program started to report the message: "No RTSP session is currently in progress"
>
> What could be causing this?

Because the error occurs with your custom application, it's difficult to say for sure, but most likely it's because your client is sending an operation (such as "PLAY") on a session, without having first sent a "SETUP".  (I'm not sure why your application worked before, though.)

To find out for sure what's going on, please change your application to pass 1 as the "verbosityLevel" parameter to the call to "RTSPClient::createNew()", rerun your application, and send us the diagnostic output (from 'stderr').

> I compiled the libraries with the -DRTSPCLIENT_SYNCHRONOUS_INTERFACE = 1

Note that the synchronous "RTSPClient" interface is now deprecated, and may be removed sometime in the future.  You should consider upgrading your application to use the asynchronous interface (I suggest using the "testRTSPClient" code as a model).