[Live-devel] Streaming h264 MPEG-2 TS

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 24 06:14:58 PDT 2012

I found your message rather disjointed and confusing, but I hope the following answers your question(s):

- Our RTSP server implementation *does* support 'trick play' operation on MPEG Transport Stream files (but not 'live' MPEG Transport Stream data).  These Transport Stream files can contain MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or H.264 Video (plus audio, text, etc. tracks).  An 'index file' must be created for each Transport Stream file (for 'trick play' operations to work).  For more information, see
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/transport-stream-trick-play.html

- Our software *can* be used to create a MPEG Transport Stream from a H.264 video input (and at least some types of MPEG audio input), using the "MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource" class.  Note, in particular, the "testH264VideoToTransportStream" demo application (in the "testProgs" directory) that shows how to generate a MPEG Transport Stream file from a H.264 video Elementary Stream file.

- I'm not sure how you would add 'closed caption' subtitles to a MPEG Transport Stream, but you may be able to do this by subclassing "MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource", and have your subclass define a new "addNewTextSource()" member function that calls the "addNewInputSource()" member function (which is "protected:" as of the latest release of the software).