[Live-devel] Running Live555 Media Server with large number of clients

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Sep 6 15:13:19 PDT 2012

> I am encountering a problem while trying to connect a large number of clients to the live555 Media Server. I have a single script which executes testRTSPClient in the background every .25 seconds and connects to the server to play a stream. When the number of clients reaches around 255, however, the server stops accepting connections. Clients become stuck at the DESCRIBE request. After a few seconds, it might accept 5-10 more, but then it completely stops. I noticed that the CPU usage was at 2% for 100 clients, 30% for 200 clients, but quickly ramped up to 100% once it reached 255 clients.

Situations like this are almost always caused by the server process running into (or close to) the OS-imposed limit on the number of possible sockets it can have.  If you increase this limit (this is something that you have to do inside the OS; not in the server code), then that should alleviate the problem (until you run into some other scalability limit, such as bandwidth :-)