[Live-devel] NAL processing order.

johan info at nnuvo.org
Sun Sep 9 19:57:41 PDT 2012

Ross Finlayson <finlayson at ...> writes:

> No!  You MUST NOT include 'start codes' (i.e., 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01)
> in the NAL units that you feed to a "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer".
> I don't know how much clearer I (and the LIVE555 code) can be about
> this!

Sorry let me be more precise, I meant AVC nal lengths, which I was
(incorrectly) referring too as start codes of the AVC format. I definitely
get that annex-b start codes should not be sent to the Framer, it can be
clearly seen in the code, but i am not sure if the framer requires the AVC
NAL lengths which precede the Nal data for each NAL Unit.

> all is well in delivery except when the NAL's look like MPEG NALS
> 00 00  xx xx. (warning nal type:0)

Happening when I include the AVC NAL Lengths.

> The *receiver* end - i.e., the client - receives NAL units that have
> been packed into RTP packets.  Once again, according to the
> IETF-defined standard payload format for H.264, these NAL units
> DO NOT include start codes.  Instead, the receiving client receives
>  - from the RTP demultiplexor - a sequence of discrete NAL units,
> each with their size defined.  (I.e., the receiving client doesn't need
> (and doesn't get) start codes, because instead it knows the size
>  of each NAL unit.)

Ill try to *decipher* the RTP IETF Docs. Thanks for your help.