[Live-devel] NAL processing order.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Sep 9 20:13:01 PDT 2012

>> No!  You MUST NOT include 'start codes' (i.e., 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01)
>> in the NAL units that you feed to a "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer".
>> I don't know how much clearer I (and the LIVE555 code) can be about
>> this!
>
> Sorry let me be more precise, I meant AVC nal lengths, which I was
> (incorrectly) referring too as start codes of the AVC format. I definitely
> get that annex-b start codes should not be sent to the Framer, it can be
> clearly seen in the code, but i am not sure if the framer requires the AVC
> NAL lengths which precede the Nal data for each NAL Unit.

No, you just feed the "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" the NAL unit data itself.  The "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" doesn't need any in-band length field, because you specify the length ("fFrameSize") separately when you deliver each frame (i.e., NAL unit) to it, and the "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" gets the length (as a separate parameter) whenever it receives each frame (i.e. NAL unit).

> Ill try to *decipher* the RTP IETF Docs.

You don't need to do this, because we (the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software) have implemented these RTP payload formats for you.