[Live-devel] Rendering a frame from H264

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 10 05:09:06 PDT 2012

[Somehow your "Subject:" line got fixed up; I fixed it for you  - this time]

> So I can assume the frame arrives encoded in H264 format and i need a 3rd party decoder like ffmpeg to decode it ? and there is no actual way to decode a H264 stream using live555 to a bitmap I can render to the screen ?

That's correct.  The "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software includes no codec (audio/video encoding or decoding) software.

> If i need to decode it using ffmpeg is there anyway to get resolution of video i can feed into the decoder or do i need to hard code this ?

I don't know (it depends on how "ffmpeg" works, which is outside the topic of this mailing list).  But I suspect that just feeding the SPS and PPS NAL units (that I described in my previous email) to ffmpeg at the start will be sufficient.