[Live-devel] RTPSource for mime "application/VND.ONVIF.METADATA"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 12 04:51:47 PDT 2012

> I follow the documention in MediaSession.hh that explain how to support a specific payload to support  mime "application/VND.ONVIF.METADATA".
> This works without problem, and doesnot did any modification of live555, then it's ok.
>
> However, the implmentation I didn't doesnot do anything, just creating a SimpleRTPSource

FYI, if you're OK just receiving otherwise unknown RTP payload formats using a "SimpleRTPSource", then you don't need to do any subclassing to do this.  Instead, just call "MediaSession::initiate()" with a "useSpecialRTPoffset" parameter of 0.  This will tell the LIVE555 code to implement this (otherwise unknown) RTP payload format using a "SimpleRTPSource" - without the need to do any subclassing or adding any code of your own.

> , then I would like to know if it's possible to support this mime in some next live555 release ?

This RTP payload format is not defined in any IETF RFC, but - according to 'ONVIF' documents - it contains just XML text, without any special RTP headers, and therefore you should not need any special "RTPSource" subclass in order to receive it.  "SimpleRTPSource" should be sufficient, and - as I noted above - you can get this automatically just by passing a "useSpecialRTPoffset" parameter of 0 to "MediaSession::initiate()".